Topic: Sorry Skaters, you have been barred from lagos streets- Gov Fashola  (Read 1510 times)

Governor Of Lagos State has banned Skating on Lagos roads due to increase vehicle accidents.

"They cannot skate on the highways. It is a violation of the traffic law 2010. I implore all parents to call their children and their wards to order because any child found skating on the highway will be arrested and will be brought to justice. It must stop today. Skating on the highways has to stop now. The danger is too much and it is the responsibility of the government to safe lives,"

On skating, Fashola said he noticed that the youths had also taken to skating because the road is safe, saying government was not going to discourage them but that they should do that in designated places like recreation centres, stadia and others.

On the position of the government concerning road development in FESTAC Town, Fashola explained that the state government was having an issue with the Federal government, pointing out that the taxes and land charges being collected by the FHA were being sent to Abuja.

"I have said that the Federal Housing Authority is an anathema to the current constitution. The Federal Government does not own land, so, I don't see how it can have a housing authority. But it was created during the military and now that we are in a civilian dispensation, as I made a case on Saturday when we were in Sokoto, this is one of the laws that the National Assembly should simply amend or repeal to bring them in conformity with the current dispensation," he said.

On LASTMA, the governor pointed out that its primary responsibility was to keep the state traffic moving, stressing that "this is the reason why the agency exists. Arresting traffic offenders is secondary. If making an arrest will increase the traffic, let the offenders go. I say this not because I don't want law breakers to be apprehended and brought to justice. But law breakers cannot undermine our main objective.

"The longer people stay more in traffic, the more money is wasted and fuel are burnt and when people stay more in traffic, this leads to increase in the price of goods in the state. But with a moving traffic, price of goods will be stable."

-naij