Topic: Anything in Skirt? Think Twice  (Read 3336 times)

Anything in Skirt? Think Twice
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
ARE you a foreigner, who goes for anything in skirt? Beware, before you fall victim to those posing as women on facebook to hook men.

One of them, Adedamola Olafinranye was at the weekend paraded by operatives of the Special Fraud Unit (SFU) Ikoyi, Lagos for allegedly defrauding a United States citizen Jac Spradling, of $42, 497.

Two other suspects, Emmanuel Shonubi and Ahmeed Modupeola, were also paraded for allegedly defrauding a customer of Fidelity Bank of N5million.

Olafinranye was arrested following an intelligence report from the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit Abuja to the Commissioner of Police; Mr. Tunde Ogunsakin.

The report alleged that the suspect, in suspicious circumstances received the money through his domiciliary account with a Sterling Bank branch located at Demunrin, Ketu, Lagos suburb.

The payments were said to have been made between August 13 and September 16 2013 and the suspected illicit inflows were said to have been followed by immediate cash withdrawals by Olafinranye, who seemingly had no known affiliation with the international depositors.

SFU operatives traced Olafinranye to his Agidi road, Alapere-Ketu but following the lien over his account he reportedly fled. Lien, in legal parlance, is the right to keep a suspect’s property until he is cleared.

Ogunsakin said, “Although Olafinranye trained as an aluminum fabricator, he is a driving instructor at his father’s moribund driving school in Ketu. He had posed as a woman online, going by the name of Janet to win Spradling’s friendship. He has confessed to the crime and investigations are ongoing to contact his victims.”

Olafinranye denied defrauding Spradling claiming that he was paid the amount to purchase a house at Ogba for his victim.

He said: “I had already met Spradling in Malaysia when I travelled three months ago. Janet Kihr is also a friend of mine on facebook; I introduced both of them. After I returned to Nigeria, unknown to Janet, I took one of her pictures from her Facebook account and used it as my profile picture and , began to communicate with Spradling. I communicated with him regularly for three months before he sent the money to help purchase a house for him at Ogba. Janet Kihr had no idea that I  used her identity.”

Shonubi  allegedly sent a fraudulent email to the account officer of the Fidelity Bank’s customer, asking that N5m be paid into Efad Ventures account on November 5.

Ogunsakin said, “We received a petition on November 11 from Fidelity Bank, that a customer had sent an email to his account officer on November 5, to transfer N10 million to his personal account at Standard Chartered Bank. “Although the customer told his account officer that he intended to transfer another sum of money, he did not specify the amount.  ”Later in the day, another email came purportedly from the same customer, directing the account officer to transfer N5 million to Efad Venture account owned by Shonubi, domiciled at Wema Bank Plc.”

It was gathered that the second email did not originate from the Fidelity Bank customer but from fraudsters who had hacked into his email