Gist: 8 months old Baby dies in fire accident  (Read 1452 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

8 months old Baby dies in fire accident
by dayod247 « on: January 13, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »




The season of fire in Lagos State continued on Sunday morning by claiming the life of an eight-month-old baby, identified simply as Ibukunoluwa, in the Oworonshoki area of the state.

The incident happened less than a week after 15 people lost their lives in an inferno caused by a fallen tanker laden with 33,000 litres of petrol in the Kirikiri area of the state.

Our correspondent, who visited the scene of the Sunday fire at Oke Erin Street, Oworonshoki, learnt that over 30 people were rendered homeless in the fire that lasted for over an hour.

According to residents, the fire started around 10am after the elder sister of the deceased baby, who was cooking noodles, forgot to put the fire out.

It was learnt that the mother of the baby, who is an employee of the Lagos State Waste Management Agency, was not home when the incident occurred.

A victim, who identified herself only as Iya David, said the fire was able to spread to other rooms because many of the occupants of the compound had gone to church.

She said, “I was in church when I started receiving telephone calls that my house had been gutted by fire. I quickly rushed down to the scene and saw that about six rooms were on fire. We quickly rallied around and attempted to put out the fire but it continued to spread.

“We moved closer and that was when we heard the little baby crying. We saw the baby burning, but there was nothing we could do as the fire was too intense and the roof came crashing down.”

Our correspondent learnt that because the houses were all made of wood and sawdust, the fire continued to spread and the residents called on the fire service for help.

It was learnt that the state fire service deployed a truck of water in the scene from Ilupeju Fire Station.

It was learnt that by the time the fire was put out completely, six shanties had been completely razed while three others were damaged.

The landlord of the compound, Samuel Olaoye, said seven families were affected by the fire.

Olaoye explained that the fire started from the veranda where the baby’s sister, said to be about 12-years-old, was cooking.

He said, “I was at church when I was called by residents. I learnt that the older sister of the baby was cooking noodles at the veranda when the fire started. She got scared and ran for her life and by the time she could get help, it was too late.

“The baby has been buried, while I have not seen the mother and the sister for hours.”

As of 4pm, when our correspondent left the scene, smoke was still billowing from the charred items.

Many of the victims were seen searching through the debris to salvage some of their belongings.

one of the victims said, “It is not our wish to live in shanties, but it is because we are poor. We have nowhere to lay our heads and we have nothing of our own. We are all going to sleep in a church down the road today. By tomorrow, we will figure something out.

Read more: Punch


 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
1064 Views
Last post March 11, 2013, 12:09:13 PM
by dayod247
0 Replies
1146 Views
Last post March 07, 2016, 07:01:26 AM
by olutee
0 Replies
644 Views
Last post April 16, 2016, 07:00:21 PM
by flukky-1
0 Replies
472 Views
Last post December 26, 2016, 07:02:34 PM
by linda
0 Replies
428 Views
Last post March 06, 2017, 07:03:10 PM
by linda
0 Replies
385 Views
Last post March 12, 2017, 07:00:19 PM
by flukky-1
0 Replies
422 Views
Last post May 29, 2017, 07:02:23 PM
by flukky-1
0 Replies
365 Views
Last post August 12, 2017, 01:06:45 PM
by olutee
0 Replies
278 Views
Last post June 01, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
by PulseNG
0 Replies
2144 Views
Last post August 11, 2019, 01:16:31 PM
by sahara