Topic: Nigerian 12 years a slave star says he dint feel bad loosing oscars  (Read 2144 times)

Celebrated Nigerian-British actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor was in the country last weekend for the premiere of the blockbuster movie, adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie’s Half of a Yellow Sun. Showtime Celebrity cornered the ‘12 Years a Slave’ star, who played the lead character in the film as he talks about his involvement in the film, his Oscar nomination as well as his blossoming career.
How do you feel playing the lead role in the film adaptation of
Chimamanda’s “Half of a Yellow Sun,” especially when you have not visited home for such a long time?
I haven’t been out of the country for too long. We shot the film in Calabar  about a year and six months ago. I feel really excited about starring in the film. It is one film that I am deeply passionate about. I’ve known Biyi Bandele for about twenty years now. We talked often since I featured  in a short film he made some years ago.
We talked about wanting to make a film in Nigeria,  trying to combine all of the possibilities and make a large scale film in the country. My mother introduced me to Chimamanda Adichie’s  book in 2007, not long after it came out. She just found it deeply affecting and very beautiful.
So, it was a perfect confluence of events when Biyi Bandele  told me he was adapting the novel for the screen and we started to plan how we could take the project out there. I was desperate to tell this story. I feel incredibly privileged, happy and delighted to be in a position right now to be presenting this film here in Nigeria.
After ‘Half of A Yellow Sun’ and ‘12 years a Slave’, we hear that  you may be the villain in the next James Bond movie. How true is it?
In terms of the Bond thing, it is speculation at this point. You will be the first to know when I know. It’s been a remarkable time for me this year and I am part of the experience. I have been in Nigeria making this film.
I am so passionate about it. It is so much a part of my own family history and heritage and very directly in terms of the war my grandfather experienced. I wanted to relate and express it in some ways. I think the projects I have been lucky to be involved with have been very meaningful to  me.
In  2006, you were nominated for the BAFTA Orange star  award by 2014. You have won the award. How did you feel losing out of the major one, the Oscars?
I felt fine. I felt like the film, 12 Years a Slave has been so wonderfully celebrated and it was really received in the spirit that has remained with many people across the world.
I just felt incredible joy for the film itself, winning the Academy award; for Lupita winning the Academy award; for John Ridley winning the Academy award, for all of us who were nominated for the extraordinary moment. Also, for Steve McQueen an extraordinary film maker who makes rare, special and precious films.
I felt very happy. In the end, it’s always the celebration of cinema and celebration of film.
I think it is incredible in this part and extraordinary commitment from an actor. I give credit to the profession. I was happy to see him win as well and I was also thrilled for her film and thrilled for the diversity that was in the entire reward system. I think the diversity in film is good for business.

-vanguard