Topic: I no longer sleep with my two eyes closed -GEJ(should you sleep at all?)  (Read 3299 times)

President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday admitted that he no longer sleep with his two eyes closed since the April 14 abduction of schoolgirls from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, adding that the situation will remain so until the girls regain their freedom.

The President also ruled out the possibility that the girls could have been moved out of the country by their abductor, saying they may still be holed up inside Sambisa Forest.

Jonathan spoke while addressing a world press conference at the end of the three-day World Economic Forum for Africa held in Abuja.

He also denied media reports that the nation’s security agencies were slow in responding to the abduction.

The President also told the world that most of those who were responsible for the recent bomb explosion in Nyanya, a satellite town of Abuja, have been arrested.

He again lauded the organisers of the event for holding it in Nigeria despite the terror attacks being recorded in parts of the country.

He said the visitors would have seen for themselves that although the country was facing challenges, Nigeria was moving on.

He said with the commitments and concerns raised by the international community, the abductors of the girl had no choice than to free them because they no longer have a hiding place.

He said, “Let me also use this unique opportunity to thank all of you who have shown commitment and concern those of you in Nigeria and those of you outside this country to continue to press on that these terrorists must bring back our girls.

“And they have no choice because I am quite pleased that the whole world is signing the same message that they must bring back our girls.

“And there is no where they will take this girls to, they have no hiding place, we must work with the global community that is quite keen to make sure that we bring back this girls.

“We plead with the parents as a father and the President of this country, I feel pained and I don’t sleep with my two eyes closed and I will not sleep with my two eyes closed until these girls are brought safely back to their parents.

“I thank you for all the concern, for all the sentiments, communications you are putting across to the rest of the world about what we are doing and of course where the world wants to support us.”

He said, “The attackers are in a part of Borno State described as Sambisa Forest. It is a forest area and we are working with the experts that will use remote sensor to see that wherever they are, we will see.

“So the best we can say is that they are within the Sambisa Forest area. Of course, I agree that they are stories that they have been moved outside the country, but if they move that number of girls to Cameroon, people will see. So I believe that they are still within Nigeria.”

The President described the report that there was a slow response on the part of security agencies and the government to the abduction as a misconception.

He said, “There is no slow response at all, no no. It is a misconception. The response is not slow. I have explained this. Borno State can be described as the headquarters of the terrorists, Boko Haram, they are more in Borno State, then followed by Yobe and then Adamawa.

“These are the three states we have declared state of emergency already. So they have military personnel in that state.

“Immediately this happened, they have been following it-both the Army and the Air Force, they have been combing. The only thing we did not do because we felt it was not necessary then was to video the aircraft moving, the military people moving and the fighter helicopters.

“We did not do the video to show because the people were on ground because of the state of emergency because of these terrorists. That is why people thought it was slow, no it was not.

“We started work immediately. It was not slow

-punch