Topic: Ekiti: Fayemi out, Fayose now Ekiti State new Governor  (Read 2956 times)

Ekiti: Fayemi out, Fayose now Ekiti State new Governor
« on: October 16, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital, was agog on Wednesday as preparations for the inauguration of Ayodele Peter Fayose as the new governor of state gathered momemtum.

At the Oluyemi Kayode Stadium, Fayose Campaign headquarters in the Government Reservation Area, and the streets of Ado-Ekiti, the supporters of the governor-elect were seen readying themselves ahead of the ceremony.

Our correspondent also noted that a well-decorated stage had been created at the centre of the stadium. The stage faces the equally well-decorated state box.

Fayose visited the stadium in company with security agency chiefs to inspect the extent of preparation for the   ceremony which will be graced by either President Goodluck Jonathan or Vice-President Namadi Sambo and the national leadership of Peoples Democratic Party.

It was not clear as of 7pm on Wednesday if   outgoing Governor Kayode Fayemi would attend the ceremony that will be conducted by the state Chief Judge, Justice Ayodeji Daramola.

A rehearsal for the inauguration with the Chief Registrar of the Ekiti State High Court, Obafemi Fasanmi, also took place in the city whose hotels and guest houses had been fully booked.

Artisans, okada riders, market men and women as well as commercial motorists and motorcyclists were seen   buying different colours of uniforms at the Fayose campaign headquarters for the inauguration.

The governor-elect, it was gathered, had distributed cows and money to various groups in the state to enable them to celebrate his second coming as the state governor.

As of 4pm on Wednesday, the Government House was solemn as The PUNCH learnt   that    Fayemi,   his family members and aides moved out their personal belongings around noon.

Fayemi, who lifted the curfew he imposed on the state following an outbreak of violence,   was said to have left for his Isan-Ekiti home town in the Oye Local Government Area of the state.

Fayose had in a live television interview on Tuesday said he had invited all the clerics in the state to join him in cleansing the Government House.

He   said, “I am expecting all pastors; they would first be at the new State House to carry out a thorough spiritual cleansing before we enter the building on Thursday (today) after the inauguration.

“ Even if they are up to 1, 000, they should all come for the spiritual cleansing before we enter the building. But any pastor who isn’t sure of his calling shouldn’t come.”

Heavy presence of security personnel was   visible on major streets of the city and the stadium’s entrance.

The operatives were   drawn from the Nigeria Army, Nigerian Police Force, Nigeria Prison Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and   the Department of State Service.

The Ekiti Police Public Relations Officer, Victor Babayemi, in a statement said the Command had put in place adequate and comprehensive security measures to prevent breach of law and order.

He said, “The Commissioner of Police,   Taiwo Lakanu , has ordered the deployment of adequate manpower and equipment to police all the events.

“Bomb Disposal Units, Counter-Terrorist Units, Police Mobile Force and Swift Response Squad in addition to conventional and plain- clothes detectives have been strategically positioned to ensure an eventful and crisis-free ceremony.

“The police personnel have been mandated to embark on thorough stop and search of persons and vehicles to prevent troublemakers from infiltrating the venues.’’

Lakanu, according to him, appealed “to the good people of the state to support and cooperate with law enforcement agencies to ensure a hitch-free ceremony.”

But in spite of the lifting of the curfew by Fayemi, the National Youth Service Corps in the state on Wednesday discharged members who were initially scheduled to end their mandatory national service on Thursday(today).

It was gathered that the decision was informed by what the NYSC management considered as rising tension in the state.

The Governor-elect, in an interview with journalists, lamented   that the transition team raised by Fayemi did not cooperate with his inauguration team.

Alleging that the Fayemi administration was leaving an empty treasury, he appealed to   workers in the state to call off their strike as a mark of honour for him.

He assured all groups and associations, party supporters, civil servants including teachers   of adequate care during his tenure.

Fayose said, “I don’t want to join issues with anybody. I only believe that a chapter has come and gone. A new chapter will be opened tomorrow (today).

“The outgoing government has refused to cooperate with us in terms of inauguration and my findings have confirmed that no government account has up to N1m.

“The Head of Service has been here and some permanent secretaries and I asked them. No government account presently in Ekiti has a minimum of N1m

“It’s unfortunate that this is happening but we were voted into power to find solutions to the problem and as soon as we take over the government, we shall find solution to it.”

Fayose refused to comment on whether he would probe the former administration or not.

He said, “On the issue of probe, I won’t talk about it now until we take over the government officially. We can’t talk about it until I assume office. I have not taken the handing over note. So until then, I don’t want to join issues with anybody.”

Asked if he would move into the Government House on Thursday (today), he replied, “Entering Government House is not an issue. Anywhere I am is a government house immediately I take over.   I can be here and act as a governor. But events from tomorrow (today) will give us a direction.”

A member of the Transition Committee,   Owoseni Ajayi, also alleged that the inauguration team put in place by the outgoing governor did not cooperate with them.

Ajayi said, “They have not connected with us. They didn’t allow the transition committee to work. They didn’t discuss with us. We wanted to use the Government House for reception but they said no.

“The people sent to set the stage were supposed to be there a day before but the government did not cooperate.”

Asked if Fayemi had indicated interest to attend the ceremony, he replied, “Is that the kind of person that will come; somebody that we just wanted to use a venue and he refused.

“He said the Government House belongs to him until midnight of October 15. That the Governor-elect should write to the permanent secretary. They were hostile throughout.

“We are perturbed about their attitude because we are all Ekiti people.”

Fayemi, on his last day in office, announced the lifting of the curfew he imposed on the state.

He made the announcement in his final valedictory speech on Wednesday in Ado-Ekiti.

The outgoing governor said, “In the spirit of transition and in the light of the relative peace that has endured in the capital, I hereby announce the lifting of the curfew hitherto imposed on the capital based on the advice of the security agencies.

“I urge all citizens/residents to conduct themselves peacefully and in accordance with the rule of law.”

Source: Punch