Topic: Review of the DRAFT COPY OF THE NATIONAL ICT POLICY  (Read 1702 times)

Review of the DRAFT COPY OF THE NATIONAL ICT POLICY
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
The Honourable Minister of Communications Technology, Mrs. Omobola Johnson, on 25th August 2011, set up an Adhoc Committee to harmonize all the various policies for the different sectors in the ICT industry (Telecommunications, Broadcasting, Information Technology and Postal Services). The draft of the Harmonized ICT Policy is now released to the public for comments and views.

You can download the document on the Ministry Website

My Submissions
Finally, after long years of ICT related divergence Ministries, bodies, laws, policy and efforts in various directions, there is a move to work through one focal point which I think for once is very good.

Download the Draft here from the Ministry of Communications Technology Website

I read Gbenga Sesan’s view on this draft and i share some of his thots as do the following.

Firstly, Section 6 which mentioned naming the ministry “Ministry of Communications and Information Technology” and bringing other related ICT agencies under its purview should be embraced. While name doesn’t depicts the Ministry’s actions, there is a need to pursue this vision under the right naming convention cos everything ICT is not inside Communications Technology and even down the Draft, the term ICT was used through out stating the ministry of CT left as an important I missing from its name.

I see a lot of encourage, develop, formulate, initiate and nice words to formulate this policy, i just hope like Gbenga said that this “Will not be another one of those documents that government representatives will quote in defence of inaction, but a truly useful policy that will allow Nigeria build its ICT capacity? Creating a better space for ICT to grow will help Nigeria move away from our over-dependence on natural resources”

Now to the 3 lines used to describe the involvement of youth in this future ICT movement, I think that section 4.9 is too generalized, there should be an itemized plan and engagement practice for the youths and this should be laid out now in the initial plan. The youth population in this country is enormous and they constitute over 70% of the PC, Internet, Software, Technology, in short this policy affects them more than anything. There should be the How-to engage the youths in clear terms.

Read Full Comments on flukkytom

Read Gbenga Sesan's Review on His blog

You can also send in your views or comments to roundtable@commtech.gov.ng or visit our Blog at http://blog.commtech.gov.ng to submit your views.

What do you think? Talk now oooooo