Topic: My son is innocent – Father of slain victim form aluu.  (Read 1987 times)

My son is innocent – Father of slain victim form aluu.
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »
Father of one of the slain students at Omuokiri-Aluu in Rivers State, Mr Mike Toku has also called on the Rivers State government and human right bodies in the country to ensure justice was done on the issue.

Toku, who is a staff of the state-owned radio station, said he was sure his son and the other three who were killed by the riotous Omuokiri–Aluu youths were not robbers as alleged.

According to him, his son and his other three friends slept in a friend’s place in the community so that they could track a fellow who was owing them money in the early hours of the following day.

http://community.vanguardngr.com/video/university-of-port-harcourt-students-brutally-beaten-and-burnt-al

He said when they got to the fellow’s house after the argument that ensued, the fellow raised alarm, calling them thieves.

Mr Toku said he got to know that his son, late Mike Toku and the others were being lynched to death at about 7am when somebody called to alert him.

He said he finally got to the scene of the murder at about 9am only to see the lifeless bodies.  According to him, he was assisted by his wife and three other persons to rush them to the hospital where they were pronounced dead.

Toku said efforts should be made to bring those behind the heinous act to justice. “I want justice to prevail because the children were innocent,” he said.

“The community had no right to do what they did. I am appealing to the government and human rights communities to stand firmly behind the families of the deceased to fight for justice”

According to him, they were killed at about 7am of the black Friday.

Meantime, some persons have wondered why it took so long for the Police to get to the scene of the brutal murder.  Those who spoke to Vanguard said if the police which has an outpost station around the University of Port Harcourt had hastened to the scene of the murder they probably could have rescued the victims of the mob action.

Mr Toku said when he got there, he only saw a Joint Task Force, JTF patrol vehicle. He said he was told that the JTF team fired shots to scare away the killers.

Source:Vanguard