Topic: CAN YOU RECITE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM?  (Read 3385 times)

CAN YOU RECITE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM?
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
Hello beautiful people. Hope you had a fantastic weekend. Initially for today’s post, I was going to give another one of my “unconventional expos” for mothers and parents but then I came across something very interesting on NTA last night while watching the news and I thought to share it with you guys. Stay tuned on Wednesday for my expo ;)

On the network news last night, there was a segment where a reporter was giving a rundown of Nigeria’s National Symbols. She started off with the National Flag then proceeded to the Coat of Arms. It was when she started to speak of the most “popular” of all the National symbols of Nigeria, the National Anthem that she finally got my full attention.

Out of over 10 people interviewed for that report, only one of them could sing the National Anthem correctly.

Initially, while watching it, a hysterical laughter erupted in my living room but then it got me thinking “HOW MANY OF US (NIGERIANS) CAN ACTUALLY RECITE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM?”

And I mean “word for word” not “hum” the National Anthem.

Before I began to criticize, I took a second to make sure that I’m not as ignorant as the 10 people being embarrassingly interviewed on national/international television. And as pleasing as it made me, I am able to completely recite not only the 1st and 2nd Stanza of the National Anthem but also the former National Anthem that was used from independence in 1960 until 1978 – (all thanks to Kunle Afolayan’s October 1st movie). That scene where Miss Tawa was teaching the pupils how to recite Nigeria’s “new” National Anthem caught my attention and personally, I much prefer the tune of the old anthem to the new one. But then what do I know, I’m just a blogger :)

Back to the topic at hand…

While the report was going on, and people kept failing wholly, the reporter stated that the inability of people to recite the National Anthem correctly is due to a “lacuna in the Nigerian educational sector”.

Do I agree with that reporter, ABSOLUTELY!

A few days ago, I came across an article by a fellow blogger (The Naija Teacher) titled “If I were President of my country”. The author, if President would have a “one point” agenda focusing singularly on education. The author believes that changing the educational system in the country would decrease migration, improve the issue of electricity, water, bad roads, infrastructure, and health system, create job opportunities and consequently reduce poverty and thus corruption.

Now this leaves me wondering.

Click on the link to continue reading

http://alocovivavoce.com/2015/10/05/can-you-recite-the-national-anthem/