Topic: Did you know Atiku is back in presidential race?    (Read 1644 times)

Did you know Atiku is back in presidential race?  
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
FORMER Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, at a recent event in Enugu, left no keen observer in doubt over his intention to seek the highest office in the land in 2015.

At the 13th anniversary lecture and National Conference of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) at Nike Lake Resort, Enugu, Atiku, the 2007 presidential candidate of the Action Congress (AC), said, if elected, he would pursue resource control and devolution of power to the federating units.

His words: “Presently, our state and local governments look up to Abuja for monthly allocations. That kind of dependence does not make for any meaningful autonomy and surely will not bring about meaningful development. Every tier of government should be reasonably self-reliant in terms of revenue. The revenue it gets from other tiers should be supplementary, otherwise, it will lack reasonable degree of autonomy irrespective of what the law says. That is the reality of human condition and politics.

Atiku
“That is why I have been calling for devolution of more powers and revenues from the Federal Government to the states and regional governments. It is not political posturing, it is a critical condition for deepening our democracy and promoting national development, peace and security.

“You know what, if I am president, what is it? Coal? Enugu State take your coal! Oil? Niger Delta take your oil! But I have the power of taxation. If your income from coal is N1 trillion I will say pay the Federal Government 70 per cent. That is your business. If you raise N10 trillion from oil, take your money but pay 75 per cent to the Federal Government.”

Atiku made the declarations while speaking on how to strengthen the local councils and enhance their delivery of democracy dividends to the grassroots.

Oil, Military rule negative influence

Noting that the local councils used to be very strong before the advent of oil and military rule in Nigeria’s polity, he stressed the need for improved taxation and governance.

“In the days when I was growing up and when there was no oil, the Local Government system was funded by taxation. There were radio tax, bicycle tax, etc and everybody paid. With the money the local governments built roads, primary and secondary schools and provided healthcare delivery that even the current state governments don’t provide in some cases. That was what we did prior to military rule and oil significant contribution to our national revenues. That is what makes people hold their government to account,” he argued.

Source:Vanguard