Topic: What people say about Social Media...what do you say?  (Read 3585 times)

What people say about Social Media...what do you say?
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
I once had a friend who said "I cant get a blackberry cos everyone is using it and i dont bloody care", Early this year, she calls and asks for my black berry PIN and now she cant seem to get enough of tweeting and posting Facebook pics. Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry Messenger and other S.Medias have actually changed our social life as we know it. People say they are quiet and don't talk to people and yet post every hour for everyone on Facebook, You say you are feeling lonely but have updated your status 21 times in one day...hmmm

Isn't it funny when your Girl friend is not happy and everyone else hears before you heard..oh sorry, it was on Facebook?

John Naughton, professor of the public understanding of technology at the Open University, Whenever people boast about how happily married they are, that's the moment you know they're not.

Technology makes some people forget the distinction between private and public spaces. Mobile phones changed it, but Twitter and Facebook have added to the confusion. It's people thinking they're being private when they're broadcasting.

My rules would be never ever to use any of these media about anything that involves other people, without their knowledge or consent, which we would normally regard as private, including relationships.

Jean Smith, cultural and social anthropologist says before you write anything, just stop and think: 'Do I want 20,000 strangers to read this?' Finding a line between a direct message and a regular tweet is quite important. The written word is different from saying something out loud. It doesn't have the body language or intonation. It's really dangerous if you have an argument to do anything in writing, never mind in 140 characters!

My purpose for using Twitter is fun. I try to tell myself: "What you've just put on your Twitter feed will come up if people search for you!" I say things about my personal life, but I think I usually err on the side of good judgment.

Jim Dowling, managing partner at ideas company Cake says twitter is the most dangerous social media platform. We love it for its immediacy. All news breaks - or emerges murkily - on Twitter, whether it's mundane or a front page. It has killed the television news flash, and has cheapened the drama of "breaking news" on the rolling news networks.

The trouble is, people consume and broadcast Twitter in the same mindset. If it's in the head, it's quickly into 140 characters. Many of us tweet based on the basis of common sense and a moral code. However, the pace of Twitter compels people to regularly make mistakes. With practice, we'll get better.

So what do you think Social Media has taken away or added to you and the folks around you...?