Topic: Heading Home: Nigerians fleeing xenophobic attacks in South Africa determined to start afresh  (Read 1213 times)

Heading Home: Nigerians fleeing xenophobic attacks in South Africa determined to start afresh

[html]Things will never be the same again to a lot of Nigerians who left everything behind in South Africa to return home after the recent spate of xenophobic attacks in the country left a bitter taste in their mouth.

Things will never be the same again to a lot of Nigerians who left everything behind in South Africa to return home after the recent spate of xenophobic attacks in the country left a bitter taste in their mouth.

Those who made it back home have told many stories of near misses and how their dreams and businesses crashed in the crisis.

Some of them expressed sadness while others were angry with a solemn sense of betrayal.

To help the returnees reconnect with their families and transport themselves home, MTN Nigeria gave them free pre-loaded SIM cards with several minutes of talk time, free data and N15,000 cash.

Other organizations and individuals also reached out to offer support to their fellow countrymen and women.

Nigerians fleeing xenophobic attacks in South Africa determined to start afresh                 
Nigerians fleeing xenophobic attacks in South Africa determined to start afresh

Speaking with some of the returnees, they were happy and thankful to Air Peace, MTN and other compassionate Nigerians who offered them assistance.

“MTN gave me the SIM card that I’m using now,” a young returnee who pleaded anonymity said. “I also received some money. It helped a lot. I’ve reached home and I’ve seen my people.”

One of the returnees said her experience in South Africa was contrary to what she had in mind before emigrating to the country two years ago.