Topic: OAU student gives birth & attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet  (Read 5597 times)

According to reports I got this morning from students of Obafemi Awolowo University, a female student of the school gave birth in the Moremi Hostel hall toilet and attempted to flush the baby but was caught my the hall cleaners.

They say the girl's name is Oyin (let's leave her surname out for now) and she's a 400l student of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The incident happened very early this morning.

According to a student of the school who sent in the photo, a cleaner heard a baby crying inside one of the toilet stalls and then saw blood coming from under the door. She quickly went to call other cleaners around and they forced the door open.

When the cleaners entered the toilet they saw the student pouring water inside the closet, the baby turned upside down, with the head inside the closet.

One of the women dipped her hand inside and removed the baby...a boy, who was still very much alive but bleeding from the nose. The cleaners called school management who rushed both the girl and the baby to Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital for treatment. The placenta fell while they were rushing the girl to the hospital.

Source: http://lindaikeji.blogspot.com/2013/06/oau-student-gives-birth-attempts-to.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FOqshX+%28Welcome+to+Linda+Ikeji%27s+Blog%29

Mystery Over Baby Delivered By OAU Student
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »

Oyinlola Rotimi, a 400 level student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, caused confusion on Wednesday, when she was accused of attempting to flush her newborn baby boy down the septic tank.

One version of the incident said Oyinlola, an Electrical/Electronics engineering student, was attempting to flush the baby down the toilet when she was caught by a cleaner early in the morning at Moremi Hall of the institution.

Another version, which described Oyinlola as an Agric Engineering student, said she had gone into the toilet to defecate when she gave birth to the baby.

An eyewitness said, “Mama cleaner just wanted to clean the toilet when she saw blood coming out. I was bathing and all of a sudden I heard her shouting, ‘who is inside the toilet?’ No one responded so I had to come out of the bathroom to be sure that she was not talking to me.
“When I came out, the cleaner had gone to call other cleaners and hall warders. When they came back, the baby was already crying. The warders had to force the door open.

“As the door opened suddenly, we saw that the baby had been turned upside down, with his head inside the closet. One of the cleaner immediately removed the baby from the closet. The baby was still breathing but bleeding from his nose.”

But a medical doctor, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a pregnant woman, who is not under sedation, would fall into labour before delivery.

The medical doctor, however, said it was possible for a pregnant woman to deliver when attempting to defecate.

Head, Public Relations Unit, OAU, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju, confirmed the development, adding that investigation into the case had commenced.

He said, “The case is being investigated. The baby survived, the mother too survived. Both have been taken to the health centre.”

Another student, who spoke with our correspondent said, “Both mother and child were rushed to Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital for treatment. The placenta fell while they were rushing the girl to the hospital.”

Naij

I did not flush my baby in toilet – OAU Student denies
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
“The truth is that I had a delivery of a baby boy but i thought I was pressed by call of nature, I was actually in labour pains.

“Prior to the childbirth, I had discovered that I was bleeding and went to the toilet only to observe that something expelled into the water closet.

“It was at that juncture that I screamed and shouted for help when one of my friends Satope Oladayo, heard my distress voice and quickly traced me to the toilet from our room.

“It was when Satope entered the toilet and found the baby that she (Satope) called an elderly cleaner for assistance.

The father of my new baby is a 400-level student of Mechanical Engineering, while I am 20-year-old and  also a final year student in the same university.

There is no way I would have done such a callous thing to a baby that I carried for 9 months”

See the  20-year-old mother statement below:

“The truth is that I had a delivery of a baby boy but i thought I was pressed by call of nature, I was actually in labour pains.

“Prior to the childbirth, I had discovered that I was bleeding and went to the toilet only to observe that something expelled into the water closet.

“It was at that juncture that I screamed and shouted for help when one of my friends Satope Oladayo, heard my distress voice and quickly traced me to the toilet from our room.

“It was when Satope entered the toilet and found the baby that she (Satope) called an elderly cleaner for assistance.

The father of my new baby is a 400-level student of Mechanical Engineering, while I am 20-year-old and  also a final year student in the same university.
There is no way I would have done such a callous thing to a baby that I carried for 9 months

- See more at: http://topeorekoya.blogspot.com/2013/06/i-did-not-flush-my-baby-in-toilet-oau.html#sthash.3leg1qUD.dpuf
See the  20-year-old mother statement below:

There is no way I would have done such a callous thing to a baby that I carried for 9 months

Hospital discharges OAU student who gave birth in toilet
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »
The Obafemi Awolowo University Health Centre has discharged a 400-level student of the institution, Miss Oyinlola Rotimi, who was accused of attempting to flush her newborn baby boy down the septic tank.

Rotimi, a student of the Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, caused a controversy when she was seen in the toilet with the baby at Moremi Hall on Wednesday.

She was rushed to the hospital after her delivery in the toilet.

The Head of Public Relations of the institution, Mr. Biodun Olanrewaju, who had debunked the allegation, said the father of the baby is a 400-level Student of Mechanical Engineering, OAU, Ile-Ife, but refused to mention his name.

The matron of the hospital, Mrs. Mary Oyedele, told our correspondent that Rotimi was discharged due to her medical fitness.

“Nothing is wrong with her and she will be going home soon. She is medically fit to be discharged and there is no reason for us to keep her here,” she said.

Punch

I Didn’t Flush My Baby In The Toilet
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »

A 400-level female student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Oyinlola Rotimi, alleged to have attempted flushing her newborn baby down the toilet at Moremi Hall of residence in the university, last week, has refuted the report, saying it was untrue.
The nursing mother, who has been certified alongside her baby to be medically fit by doctors at the institution’s health centre told National Mirror that her case turned out in that manner because of her inexperience as a mother.

She said the delivery of the baby was her first experience and she did not know that she was being pressed for the baby, and had only gone to the toilet to defecate.
“I was running stool overnight and because of that, I visited the toilet frequently. On that fateful morning, I had gone to the toilet to defecate just like I had been doing previously, but surprisingly it was a baby that came out into the closet. I didn’t feel any pain to suggest I was to delivered of a baby.
So, I was confused and I didn’t know what to do next. I was also bleeding. It was one of my friends and roommates who knew I was running stool, Satope who, came to look for me in the toilet, having stayed there unnecessary long. She too was surprised at the turn of event and raised the alarm which attracted an elderly woman, who is a school cleaner, for assistance.
As a matter of fact, I was scared by the development because I was not expected to deliver now, but next month, according to scan. “So, I did not attempt to kill my baby, neither did I try to abandon him nor run away as people were made to believe.
Moremi Hostel’s toilet is a public one where students residing in the hall come almost at the same time either to fetch water, take their bath or do any other sanitary things.
So, students were everywhere while I was in the toilet. Just like those around were scared about what they saw and the cleaner was brought into the matter also because she is an elderly and experienced mother. She was the person who brought out the baby from the toilet closet and brought two of us to the university’s health centre for medical attention.”
Now, the nursing mother has been discharged alongside her baby from the school’s health centre. And She told National Mirror that she would ensure she gives adequate care to the newborn. Believing that it is only God who knows the future of the infant and has left everything in His hands, Oyinlola said the news about the baby had given her undue popularity.
“With what happened, especially about the news revolving round the delivery of the baby that went round the town like a wildfire, I can now call myself a celebrity. I have never in my life been interviewed by any pressman.
The news about the incident has gone round the world. It is even the latest news in and outside OAU campus. So, I am happy and grateful to the almighty God, who keeps me and my baby alive and I pray that He will make my baby do well in life and greater than me,” she concluded. Oyinlola, from Osun State is studying Agricultural Extension and Rural Development.
She is currently doing farm work as part of the requirement to obtain a degree in the five year course of study from the university. However, efforts by National Mirror to speak with the father of the newborn, Oyewole Mosope, a 400- level Mechanical Engineering student of the university was to no avail as he was writing exam.
sourcewww.olokunbolablessing.blogspot.com

OAU Student, Who Gave Birth In Toilet, Names Baby
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »

The baby delivered in the toilet of Moremi Hostel by a 400-level student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Oyinlola Rotimi, has been named Nifemi, Okikiola.

Rotimi, who gave birth last Tuesday, was initially accused of attempting to flush her baby boy down the septic tank.

But it was later learnt that Rotimi, who was inexperienced in child bearing, thought she had a stomach upset when she was actually in labour.

The 22-year-old mother, studying Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, had told our correspondent that the circumstances that surrounded the delivery of her baby made her “a celebrity.”
She expressed delight with the birth of the baby, describing her experience as “unforgettable”.
When asked how soon she would have another baby, she said, “not so soon,”

It was gathered that the naming of the baby was low-key due to the examination going on in the school.

One of Rotimi’s friends, who spoke on condition of anonymity on Wednesday night, said Rotimi was “extremely happy” at the naming.

She said, “Today(Wednesday) is one of the days I have seen my friend looking so happy, she is extremely joyous. Although, this is not the actual way we planned it. We should have celebrated more than this if not for the fact that examination is ongoing.

“Most of our colleagues are taking exam and that is the major reason for the small celebration. I am hopeful that when the baby clocks one, we will celebrate it in a bigger way because he is our boy.”
However, some OAU students, who were not at the naming of the baby earlier, created their own fun by organising another ceremony, where they named the baby after the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Bamitale Omole.

The students, who gathered around 10pm on Wednesday, appointed a pastor among them to coordinate the christening.

Among the names the students gave the baby are Oriyomi, Omomoremi, Oluwanimilo, Titilayo, Eniolorunopa, Bamitale Omole.

The father of the baby, a 400-level student of Engineering in OAU, Oyewole Samuel, however, rebuffed attempts by PUNCH Metro to chat with him.

But one of his friends, who pleaded anonymity, explained that the father was not happy with the controversy that surrounded the birth of his baby.

He said, “He does not like the controversy and the noise about the birth of the baby. He is a cool person and does not like publicity.

Naij