Topic: Police arrest native doctor, other over N2m fraud  (Read 1797 times)

Police arrest native doctor, other over N2m fraud
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Officers attached to the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Adeniji Adele, have arrested a native doctor, Fawole Awosunmi and Tajudeen Ogunremi, for allegedly defrauding a businessman of N2m.

Both suspects were said to have connived with another accomplice known as Alhaji, who is currently on the run, to deceive an Ibadan-based businessman (name withheld) into buying a trailer that did not belong to the suspects.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Awosunmi and Ogunremi lured the businessman to Sango in Ogun State where a trailer, which had been put up for sale, was parked along Ojuore road. The said businessman was introduced to Alhaji, who acted as the owner of the trailer.

Ogunremi said, “I sell planks at Lafenwa, Abeokuta. Alhaji is an old friend. He called me and asked that I could help get a buyer for a trailer. I brought in Awosunmi to help me and after sometime, we were able to get a businessman from Ibadan.

“We brought him to see the trailer and he also met with Alhaji at Sango. Alhaji agreed to sell the truck for N2m and the money was paid into Alhaji’s account.”

The businessman was said to have suspected fraud when he returned later to take possession of the trailer. He was said to have been informed by those within the community that the trailer belonged to someone else.

Confirming the arrests of the suspects, the Police Public Relations Officer, FSARS, Lekan Ogundare, said the command acted on a petition it received on the case.

Ogundare said, “The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Mohammed Gana, on instructions from the DIG ‘D’ Department, Force Headquarters Abuja, ordered an investigation.

“Through the bank details of the account where the payment was made, we were able to get the contact of someone who knew Ogunremi and Awosanmi. Most of the documents and photos used to open the account were false.

“Ogunremi and Awosanmi were trailed and arrested. They confessed to operating a syndicate in partnership with Alhaji where they defrauded unsuspecting traders and businessmen of their money. Efforts are being made to arrest Alhaji and bring him to justice.”

Awosanmi denied being a member of the syndicate, claiming instead to be a herbalist.

He said, “It was Ogunremi who brought the deal to me. He said we should do the business together but we knew it was fraudulent.

“For the part we played, Alhaji paid us N500,000. We thought we had gotten away with the whole thing until the police came to arrest us.”

Ogundare advised that proper enquiries be made before any business transaction.

Read more: http://www.punchng.com/metro/police-arrest-native-doctor-other-over-n2m-fraud/