Topic: Baba Suwe: Lawyers to file billion naira damages  (Read 2275 times)

Baba Suwe: Lawyers to file billion naira damages
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
NOLLYWOOD Actor, Omidina Babatunde a.k.a Baba Suwe, who has been in detention since his arrest three weeks ago by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) was yesterday granted bail by

an Ikeja High Court judge, Justice Yetunde Idowu.

Meanwhile, lawyer to Baba Suwe, Barrister Bamidele Aturu, speaking with Saturday us, said that his client’s fundamental right will be fought to a logical conclusion, despite NDLEA alleged intent to apologise to Baba Suwe if he fails to excrete the alleged hard drug he ingested.

In his words: “They would do more than apologise. Heads must roll in the organisation. They better start to look for other jobs. It is as simple as that.

“This is the 24th day that my client has been in their detention. They have been conducting all sorts of tests on him and found nothing. It is also noteworthy that my client did not eat on Tuesday night, apparently they were preparing him for the test,” Aturu told the court yesterday.

Aturu, vowed to drag the NDLEA to court for damages against the ace comedian, even as he called for an audit into the activities and operations of the NDLEA to ascertain how the agency treats suspects under its custody.

According to Aturu, the NDLEA has shown utter disrespect and contempt for the laws of this country by detaining Baba Suwe without evidence, meaning that they do not believe in the rule of law.

In his words, “They kept him for 24 days without getting any evidence and that in itself constitutes a very gross violation of our constitution. You can’t arrest a person for this long period without evidence.”

Aturu stressed that he would sue NDLEA because it was a constitutional matter and that Baba Suwe was subjected to several medical examinations, tests and operations without his consent or that of his lawyers, arguing that it was also a breach of medical ethics.

“By operation, I mean that some test devices were passed through his mouth and into his stomach and they flushed out everything in his system apart from his intestines. So, I think that that will qualify for an operation and that operation was done without his consent. So, as far as we are concerned, that in itself is a breach of medical ethics and we will take that up in another matter,” Aturu said.

The new suit, according to Aturu, will make claims for damages running into billions of naira and the aim is to teach the authorities a very important and fundamental lesson that they must uphold the laws of the country. “Citizens’ rights are inviolable, therefore those in authority must do everything not to abridge or violate the right of the Nigerian citizen. This is a test case and everybody in the world waited for the outcome of this case and we are going to bring an action in court very soon to let NDLEA know that they cannot continue do this to suspects in their custody,” he added.

He stated that Baba Suwe was a popular artiste and that was the reason his incarceration generated a lot of public concern and interest, wondering what would be happening to ordinary Nigerians in the custody of the NDLEA who are not as popular as Baba Suwe.

“Now can you imagine what is happening at this moment to ordinary citizens in the custody of NDLEA who are not known in this country? We are going to do an audit of NDLEA’s operations and activities and we will know what is happening there; that is very important. I am going to make sure that at the end of the day, this kind of thing does not continue.”

Aturu called the judgment a victory for democracy, stating, “This is a victory for human rights struggle in Nigeria; victory for democracy, constitutionalism and it shows that when people are willing to defend their rights, victory is certain for them.

”While thanking the judge for doing a good job, Aturu called on Nigerians to always play their part in defence of their fundamental human rights, on adding “We must thank the Judge for being courageous and for not allowing any sort of intimidation to come in the way.

She has done her duty; it is now left for Nigerians to do their duty by always insisting that they would challenge any violation of their rights. This is victory for democracy and for the rule of law.”

It will be recalled that an Ikeja High Court ordered the release of the Nollywood comedian if by yesterday, he failed to excrete any substance that is in compliance in nature with narcotics, as alleged by the NDLEA.

Justice Yetunde Idowu granted Baba Suwe bail in the sum of N500, 000 after the expiration of the detention order granted the NDLEA by the Federal High Court in Lagos. Part of the bail condition is one surety in like sum with an order that the surety’s status and address must however be verified by the chief registrar of the court.

She also directed that Baba Suwe’s international passport with the NDLEA be deposited with the chief registrar’s office, pending the determination of the substantive suit.\

Colleagues react

Doris Simeon— Actress
Do I have anything to say? Yes. I ‘m glad he has been released and that nothing incriminating was found on him. Should Nollywood rejoice over this?
Well, this is not about Nollywood but the NDLEA not doing its home work well. They should have carried out proper investigations before announcing to the world that Baba Suwe was involved in any suspicious thing.

Ayo Badmus— Actor
This is good news for the movie industry. It is good news because nothing was found on Baba Suwe after all the noise made by the NDLEA.
Rather than prolong the agony of the man, the agency did the most honourable thing, by releasing him from their detention.
It is good news for Nigeria and the rule of law. I’m not saying that Baba Suwe is guilty or not guilty, the truth is that the man’s right as a citizen of this great country of ours was not trampled upon.

Mercy Aigbe— Actress
I am happy that at long last Baba Suwe has been released from detention. Now that he is out, the agony of being deprived his right has been restored to him. I’m happy because he can now go home to his family.

Baba Suwe’s deserted
As the news of the release of detained popular Yoruba actor Babatunde Omidina a.k.a Baba Suwe spread, Saturday Vanguard was at his Ikorodu residence to feel the pulse of his family but what met our sight was a deserted home. There was no soul in sight with the gates under locks.
If his neighbours knew about his release, they didn’t let out any emotions as they simply confirmed to us that they are aware he has been released.
Our attempt to knock seemed to incure the wrath of the soul occupier of the building, a man who claimed to be the security man in charge.
“Yes, we have heard Baba Suwe has been released and we are happy, but as you can see, he is not here” he said with a note of finality.