Gist Boards > Corona Virus

[The Guardian] Yoruban masqueraders very near Newcastle: Àsìkò’s best photograph

(1/1)

The Guardian:
Yoruban masqueraders very near Newcastle: Àsìkò’s best photograph

‘In Yoruba culture, these giant otherwordly figures represent the return of deceased ancestors. Photographing them in port towns north of Newcastle was quite surreal’My parents were part of a group of Nigerians who came to study in the UK. They met and married here and I was born in London; then they moved back to Nigeria with me when I was a year or two old. Growing up, I was surrounded by Yoruba culture and inspired by a lot of the local artwork my dad collected and put on the walls.Returning to London as a teenager, I felt like an alien. Everything looked foreign and I struggled to understand people’s points of reference. I spent many years after university working in the pharmaceutical industry before moving back to my first love: art. I made a living for a while as a commercial photographer, but it took me some years to start focusing on the more personal work that really fulfils me. Continue reading...
Source: Yoruban masqueraders very near Newcastle: Àsìkò’s best photograph

Feeds culled from https://www.theguardian.com/uk/rss

Don't Google your symptoms. Ask 10 AIs and see what they actually agree on. → drux.space/chat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version