Topic: Lagos building collapse,One dead  (Read 1556 times)

Lagos building collapse,One dead
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
A building under construction has collapsed in Badagry, a Lagos suburb, killing a carpenter, Kehinde Williams (28).
The building, which belongs to the Onibereko of Ibereko, Oba Isreal Okoya, collapsed around 10:40am on Saturday.

The building, which is close to the Customs Quarters at Ibereko, was said to be a hotel.
Williams was working under the security house when it collapsed on him. The fence of a house, owned by Dr. Dele Adetoku, was affected.

Adetoku said: “I was in my bedroom around 10:40am when the building collapsed. The sound was frightening because the building is directly behind my window. It was not the main building that collapsed. It was an adjacent building, which had about three rooms upstairs.

“I am still in shock, because around 10:30am, I told the workers to remove some cement debris that messed up my compound when they are done with their day’s work and I went back to my room. About 10 minutes later, I heard that sound. It affected a part of my fence, but my building was not affected.”

A source, who pleaded for anonymity, said the building was being constructed in a hurry. She said the accident would have been avoided if the workers had advised the Oba appropriately.
The source said it took several hours before Kehinde’s remains were removed from the debris.

Although Oba Okoya said it was rain that caused the collapse, the source claimed that there was no rain.
She said: “It did not rain at Ibereko today (Saturday). I think the problem is that they did not allow the cement work to dry up before they started the carpentry work. The workers should have advised the Oba to wait because it is their field. Maybe they were afraid to talk to the Oba and went ahead with the work. Now, imagine the disaster as well as the money that has been lost.”

Oba Okoya sympathised with the family of the deceased. He said Kehinde had been buried and he has met with his parents.
He said: “The building did not collapse; it was my security gate that collapsed. Nobody who is building would want his building to collapse. And as the Oba, I do not want my subjects, especially the young ones, to die.
“Those who are saying the Oba has killed or is killing his people are my opponents and, as you know, everybody must not agree with me or like me. It was the heavy rain that caused the collapse and no building was affected. Kehinde was the carpenter and he was working under the gatehouse.

“I sympathise with his family and Ibereko people. It was an unfortunate incident. Kehinde was buried on Saturday and I have been meeting with his family. I still met with them yesterday morning (Sunday). I love my people and want the best for them.”

The Nation