Topic: After Lagos, Oshiomhole Bans Commercial Motorcycles in Benin  (Read 1931 times)

The Edo State Government has banned the use of commercial motorcycle popularly called Okada in Benin City with effect from next Monday. The Governor, who announced the ban to newsmen on Tuesday afternoon after the weekly security meeting, said the ban is limited to the three local Government areas which make up Benin City including Ikpoba Okha, Oredo and Egor Local Government Areas.

Governor Oshiomhole said it is now increasingly evident that many of the kidnappers in the state are Okada riders.

He said that the state has become a haven for criminals and other Okada riders who migrated to Edo State following similar ban in other states.

The Governor appealed to the Okada riders to bear with the government as they were compelled to make this decision.

The Governor also said that the security agencies have resolved to commence random checks of the private security personnel employed by residents in the state to determine if they are Nigerians and have valid papers to reside here as it has been discovered that they have largely been the informants in cases of kidnapping. - channels

Even tricycles [Keke Napep] are banned in Edo State
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
The Edo government on Sunday threatened to destroy commercial motorcycles or tricycles, popularly known as Keke NAPEP, that flouted the orders on their use.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole in a state broadcast banned the use of motorcycles and tricycles in major streets in five local government areas of the state.

The governor said the decision was painful but that it was in the overall security interest of the state, adding that the ban took effect from midnight on Sunday.

The affected local councils are Oredo, Egor, Ikpoba-Okha including Aduwawa in Uhumwode and Ekosodin in Ovia North East.
The governor also barred private owners of motorcycles from using them within those areas.

The governor appealed to the residents to comply with the directives as security agencies have been mobilised to enforce the ban.

Oshiomhole said he had discussed alternative means of livelihood with the commercial motor cyclists but warned that the measures were for those in the state only.

According to him, the government does not want to make anyone to suffer but is determined to enforce the ban.

“I advise all bike riders to comply and keep off the road. Should any bike rider flout this order, he will be dealt with ruthlessly. The bike will be confiscated and destroyed.

“In the interest of our collective security, I ask you to appreciate that this is a sacrifice that you have to make. Everyone must make sacrifice and be security conscious.

“We are currently facing security challenges across the country and the progress made in some parts of the country has its own challenges in other parts of the country.

“There will be time this issue will be resolved and everyone will be happy. Do not doubt our will to enforce this decision.

RE:Commuters Groan As Okada, Keke Ban Bites Hard In Benin
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »
The withdrawal of commercial motorcycles from roads in Benin metropolis, southsouth Nigeria, Monday began to cause hardship as thousands of commuters were stranded on the roads.

Most of the roads were filled with students, workers, market women and other commuters waiting to catch buses or taxi cabs to their various destinations.

Commuter buses had a field day transporting commuters to their various destinations, many of who could have otherwise taken a ride on Okada, the banned commercial motorcycles.

Drivers of the buses however took advantage of the ban on Okada to hike their fares. Commuters had to pay between N50 and N60 for a trip from Uselu market to Ring Road, as against the N30 or N40, while a trip from Ugbowo to Ring Road now costs N100 as against N70 previously charged.

All major roads and streets of the city, including Ring Road which was notorious for indiscriminate parking of motorcycles and reckless manoeuvring between vehicles, were free and devoid of heavy traffic jam that characterised those areas before now.

Activities of operators of tricycles otherwise known as Keke NAPEP are also restricted to interior streets of the town, as they were barred from operating on major roads, especially around the city centre (Ring Road), Mission Road, New Benin Market, Sakponba Road and other major roads.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State had last week announced a total ban on commercial and private use of motorcycles and a partial ban of Keke NAPEP in Egor, Oredo and Ikpoba-Okha local government areas making up the Benin metropolis, citing security reasons for the ban.

No motorcycle and Keke NAPEP were sighted on all the roads monitored Monday  from as early as 7 am, except along Okhoro Road where a soldier in uniform was seen riding a motorcycle from the Okhoro police station end of the road to the Lagos Road side. He however zoomed off before his photograph could be taken.

A commuter, a banker who simply identified herself as Sandra, said she had to leave home as early as 6.30 am as against 7 am to beat the delay occasioned by anticipated traffic jam.

She said she would always “prefer to ‘fly’ on bikes to my various destinations. It helps to beat traffic jams and it’s more convenient for me. If I have my way, I will reverse the ban. See now, I had to leave home 30 minutes earlier than my regular time of departure.”

Thousands of other commuters who could not wait for buses resorted to trekking to their various destinations.

Osas who operated Keke NAPEP along Medical Store Road till Sunday night, lamented the restriction on their activities.

“See me now, I used to drive Keke here on Medical Road, but I have to drop it at home and walk. How long this will go on?” he said.

PM News