Gist Boards > Corona Virus
[The Guardian] ‘Without what made me “me”, I’d be a shadow of myself’ – portraits of life on the autism spectrum
(1/1)
The Guardian:
‘Without what made me “me”, I’d be a shadow of myself’ – portraits of life on the autism spectrum
When photographer Mary Berridge’s son was diagnosed with Asperger’s, she began to see his world in a new light. She set out to capture a series of everyday – and exceptional – stories, one image at a timeI have been immersed in the world of autism since my son was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. Graham had many of the traits of autism from when he was a baby: speech and motor skill delays, sensory sensitivities, anxiety in big social gatherings and more. He had seen professionals for evaluations, but did not get a diagnosis until he was seven.This was a kid who had meltdowns over the sound of a blowdryer one floor up, the feel of a new shirt and the sight of a slice of cherry pie. Our lowest point was when he started refusing to enter homes he hadn’t been in before, or getting so upset at entering a restaurant that he would throw up. At least now I can sort of laugh when I think of the strangers in the grocery store who would approach him, then a cherubic toddler, and ask what his name was. “Mr Stupid Nobody,” was his reply. Continue reading...
Source: ‘Without what made me “me”, I’d be a shadow of myself’ – portraits of life on the autism spectrum
Feeds culled from https://www.theguardian.com/uk/rss
Don't Google your symptoms. Ask 10 AIs and see what they actually agree on. → drux.space/chat
Navigation
[0] Message Index
Go to full version