Topic: Lagos orphanage Owner imprisioned in kirikiri for running illegal orphanage  (Read 1673 times)

The last has not been heard on the story of a controversial orphanage run by Mrs. Rose Nwachukwu.

Saturday PUNCH broke the story on August 17, 2013.

Nwachukwu, the operator of St. Stephen Charity Foundation, Egbeda, Lagos State is currently standing trial before a Juvenile Court on a charge of running an illegal orphanage.

The offence is  punishable under section 183 of the Child Rights Law of Lagos State Nigeria 2007.

The case was heard on Monday in a family court within the Ikeja Chief Magistrate's, Court, Lagos.

The Magistrate, Mrs. E. B. Dawodu remanded Nwachukwu in prison until her bail terms were satisfied.

However, a source close to the court told our correspondent that Nwachukwu was stuck in the Kirikiri Female Prison for four days despite provisions made to secure her bail as the magistrate would not have audience with her counsel.

The source, who craved anonymity, alleged that Dawodu's refusal to attend to the bail procedure may be deliberate.

He said, "That is what Lagos State does usually if they have interest in a case. I learnt that the idea is to move the case away as much as possible from public glare to make her suffer for the story your paper published two weeks ago relating to the state deputy governor.

"Contrary to her order on Monday on bail option, the magistrate has refused to have audience with the sureties including an old man.

"They were on hand on the same day just as an amount of N100,000 was paid via transfer same day.

"Keeping the woman in Kirikiri is as if she has already been prosecuted."

The case was transferred from an Ikeja Chief Magistrates' Court on Friday to a Juvenile Court.

By its mode of operation, journalists are barred from witnessing proceedings in the juvenile court.

Meanwhile, when our correspondent spoke to an official of the court on telephone, she said she was not empowered to speak on the matter.

"This is a family court, we don't make issues public.

"On Monday, their paper was not complete. On Tuesday and Wednesday it was not complete and on Thursday, the magistrate asked them to come back on Friday. I don't know how you got my number and I don't know what you want to publish."

Going by bail procedures, which requires verification of sureties' addresses, Nwachukwu will have to spend the weekend in Kirikiri.

Source: Punch