Topic: christiano ronaldo speaks out on euro2012 disappointment and Ballond'or  (Read 1406 times)

What can we expect from Cristiano Ronaldo this coming season? The Real Madrid and Portugal star has never looked better, following three sublime years for the La Liga giants (150 goals and 36 assists) with a consistent showing for Portugal at Euro 2012 that we had yet to see from the forward at the international level.

• Enlarge

Frederick J. Brown/AFP/Getty Images
Ronaldo's fine form for Real Madrid inspired the club to its first league title in four years; what can he do in 2012-13?
Yet, when asked to recall his memories of Poland and Ukraine, conversation invariably turns to the semifinal against Spain. Just what happened in the penalty shootout?

"People are going to criticize all the time why I didn't shoot first," said Ronaldo in a recent Press Pass interview (to be released in full on Sunday). As Ronaldo waited for the fifth spot-kick in that critical knockout game, Spain sealed a spot in the final and left us with the iconic image of Portugal's biggest star unable to help his team when it was needed most. "I've no answer for it because I can shoot the first time and I can miss the penalty too … so it's a lottery."

The 4-2 shootout defeat ended A Seleccao's Euro dreams of a first international title, and it's clear that Ronaldo does have mild regret. "Against Bayern [in the Champions League semifinal], I was the first one. I missed. My opinion about Spain is to score the winning goal. My feeling, it was wrong."

Yet with Real Madrid's U.S. tour hitting its stride and another grueling season on the horizon, he's moving on from the pressure and disappointment. "I'm 10 years professional; I know how to deal with that."

And in moving on, his chat with Frank Leboeuf steered toward the other burning question: How is Ronaldo feeling about this year's Ballon d'Or? Despite being in scintillating shape for Real, the exploits of Lionel Messi at Barcelona have kept Ronaldo on the outside looking in.

ESPN FC on Twitter
Don't miss a moment of the latest soccer coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

"I want justice," Ronaldo noted, all too aware that he last won the highest individual award back in 2008. "If there is justice, you see who is going to win and who deserves to win. I'm not going to say any more."

"Of course, I'm not going to lie to you. I want to win, and I hope that [Jose Mourinho] wins, too, because he's shown he is the best coach in the world. Just justice. I don't ask for anything more."

Such is life for the Real Madrid star: taking the Euro 2012 disappointment in stride and all the while hoping his brilliant, winning season with Real Madrid doesn't go unnoticed. The mark of a true professional.