Topic: FG/ASUU, IS IT OVER? by Jerry ukandu  (Read 1647 times)

FG/ASUU, IS IT OVER? by Jerry ukandu
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:56:59 PM »
Now that the FG has finally met Asuu demand, if not all, so what's next? calling off strike, yea, I know. Strategies on how infrastructures and other amenities will be made available to various institutions, yea  I know. Re-adjustment of academic calendars and resumption date fixing, yea I know. Commencement of outstanding exams, yea I damn know that too.

Campaigns and preparation for the annual SUG election, good heavens, I pretty much have that in mind. Ok, fine, now that I know all this, there is but one question I would so much love to get answers to.....and here it is; "now that Asuu cry will no longer continue to be heard, and presumably the academics are now dancing and smiling as increase in salaries and allowances will set in, who and how will the issue of ABSENTEEISM on the part of lecturers, that I believe and know affect about twenty-thirty percent of Nigeria students' performances in class, be salvaged''? yea, because everybody experienced loss in one thing or the other during the strike, (Parents, Students, 'Asuu', etc) and so in getting the gains, I think it should be shared amongst all.

Of a truth, a conducive environment, adequate facilities, constant power supply are just good determinants of an ideal institution....but not complete if the contributions of the academics are lacking. For instance, out of 18wks or so that make up a semester, they can take you up for four or five times, and expect their full salary at the end of the month. How appalling!. And when you ask them, they'll tell you, with all temerity, that they had some other 'pressing' issues 'supposedly' not related to their professional duty, to attend to. How interesting!!!.

This trending issue I believe the Association of Vcs' together with FG, NUC, and HODS' can change, (that's if they truly represent what they profess to be) this gruesome tradition that has so eaten and scraped the very meaning of education in Nigeria. When you raise alarm, they take notice of you, and trust me, the frustration begins to tell on your GP, despite your hard work. And you tell me , Nigeria''better days ahead''.....or should we talk about other sectors? Oh I bet you wouldn't want us to go there. May God save us....just saying.

Written by Jerry ukandu.