Topic: DR Obiano Sworn In As Anambara State Governor  (Read 1457 times)

DR Obiano Sworn In As Anambara State Governor
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »
In an impressive ceremony witnessed by thousands of people from all parts of the country, Dr. Willie Obiano has been sworn in as the Governor of Anambra State on Monday, following the handover of former governor, Chief Peter Obi.
The occassion which took place in the famous Alex Ekwueme Square in Awka, was honoured by a very excited crowd of people who started showing up to the venue in the very early hours of the morning.
The visiting crowd reportedly led to a gridlock of traffic in the area, as people showed up early and waited with anticipation for the event which didn't start until 2pm.
Chief Peter Obi, the former governor of Anambra state, expressed his joy in a valedictory speech, saying he was glad that the state was in it's right position and condition.
Obi described Governor Obiano as lucky, the former governor recalled that after his swearing in 2006, there was no office for him to move into and no official car for him, adding that his successor was lucky to have them in place.
He also said that Obiano assumed office at a time the state is financially stable and appealed to the people of Anambra State to give the new governor their full support.
Special adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on inter party matters, Senator Ndii Obi who represented the president at the ceremony urged the new governor to continue the good works of the former governor.
He also confirmed that former Governor Obi will soon become a member of the Federal Executive Council. Governor Obiano, in his speech thanked the people of Anambra State for voting him and his deputy, Dr. Nkem Okeke in to serve them and promised that they would not disappoint. Part of his eight page speech read: "Beloved Anambrarians, with humility, I stand before you today, to accept this historic responsibility that you have given to me to serve. Our great leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, advised Ndigbo that only wise political choices would ensure their survival as a nation within a nation. I am proof that you heeded that advice.
"Ndi Anambra, I wish to assure you that you made a wise choice when you voted me and Dr. Nkem Okeke as your governor and deputy governor. Not only that, in voting for our great party, the All Progressive Grand Alliance, you once again listened to the wise advice of the great American Civil Rights leader, Dr Martin Luther King Jnr, that; "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
"Let me quickly say that the occasion we have today is not a celebration of the victory of one party over another but the triumph of the human will over the challenges that make democracy a reluctant seed to grow in Africa. Fellow citizens, barley 10 years ago, the situation in Anambra State was so appalling that Anambra's famous son and writer, Chinua Achebe referred to it as a place where a small clique of renegades had turned into a "bankrupt and lawless fiefdom."
"To the glory of God, the tables turned against enemies of Anambra when our great leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu built a new political ark for our people and gave us a fighting chance in the ever-threatening flood of Nigeria's political climate. Today, our story is different.
"After eight years of a remarkable leadership under the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), our narrative has changed from the story of near-bankruptcy to that of the only state in the federation that hosts Nigeria's first indigenous automobile manufacturing plant. Yes, it is a thing of pride to know that our brother, Dr Innocent Chukwuma has launched Nigeria into a new industrial orbit by fulfilling the country's dream of indigenous automobile manufacturing with Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Limited, Nnewi. The story of Innoson is the story of courage and vision. It is the narrative of the New Anambra!

-naij