Topic: Nigerians react to creation of 18 new states,is it the right move at this time?  (Read 2719 times)

I for one do not see reason for this move at this time when indication shows high level of corruption and mismanagement of state and federal funds,so this move at this time is really questionable.
Below are few of Nigerians reaction to this development.
A right move
It is in line with Nigerian policy of equity and fairness. It will reduce marginalisation of a particular geopolitical region and hence power decentralisation.

— Noble Ugochukwu

Of what gain?

What benefits will the 18 new states yield? Having 36 states has not made the country a better place and has not stopped corruption. What we should be after now is how to purge the country of corruption or corrupt leaders.

— Juliet Okwuonu

Maintain 36 states

The Confab should proffer solution on how to maintain the 36 existing states before they all disappear through insurgency.

— David Nwosu

Misplaced priority

I think it’s misplaced priority. We have more pressing issues to attend to. They need to focus on more pressing issues.

— Uzoma Achusim

More opportunities for all

I like the idea because more people will be involved in politics and create more opportunities for some Nigerians to climb the ladder.

— Philip Awogboro

Avenue for looting

Creating additional states would not solve any of our numerous problems, but would rather create avenue for bigger budgets and more looting. Nigeria does not need more states. What she is in dire need of, however, is proper and strategic administration and control.

— Favour Emma-Nwachukwu

It won’t solve any problem

Creating more states won’t solve our problems. It will just increase internal enmity. It’s time we learnt to live with each other, protect our neighbours, and watch one another’s back.

— Jeremiah Adeleke

It will bring more development

I think it will bring more development to the people, improvement in internally generated revenue and create more jobs.

— Opeyemi Oguntuase

It won’t work

Creation of more states is supposed to bring the government down to the grassroots but it has never worked. I do not see the creation of 18 more states achieving that aim.

— Amarachi Onuiri

Not a bad idea

It’s not a bad idea, but consider the fact that even most of the states are not really performing, so it might be a waste of resources. It could be welcomed if the agenda is right.

— Akinwunmi Adeseye

It is absurd

The creation of 18 new states in Nigeria at this point is absurd. There are other important issues at stake. We shouldn’t even be thinking of creating new states until the existing ones are up to par. The government should rather invest more in security, education and infrastructure in the existing states.

—   Olufemi Kola

It’ll prop up other issues

I understand the desires of some people for a definitive societal identity. But in doing that, several issues, such as resource distribution vis-à-vis wealth management; and a clear cut developmental agenda or strategic plan of the founders for the people, for whom a new society is being carved out, will come to fore.

— Tunde Awosusi

Waste of time

I think it’s a total waste of time. What happened to the current 36 states? Creating more states will definitely lead to creating more problems, politically, geographically, and economically.

— Oluwademilade Adeyemi

No, for now

That should not be a matter of policy now. We have no stable infrastructure for the existing states and they are thinking of creating more states.

— Paul Maduka

Unnecessary

Why create new states? We can’t even take care of the ones we have; it’s totally unnecessary. Let’s take care of what we have first. I believe it will just be another avenue for some people to embezzle money.

— Adebayo Adigun

It will create more problems

I believe we would be creating more problems than we can solve. We have 36 states, and politicians are killing themselves for elective positions. We have been talking about reducing costs of governance, and now creating more states will entail spending more money.

— Femi Omotilewa
No need for it

There’s no need to create more states, because the existing ones are not viable.There is the need to weaken the centre and each of the six existing zones should feed the centre instead.

— Kunle Williams

We don’t need it now

Nigeria is blessed with immense resources. We already have 36 states, most of which lack basic amenities and suffer in standard. So why create 18 more? This is just another tool that will encourage embezzlement and corruption. We don’t need it.

-Punch

Creating more states is purely rubbish. think about the girls and the ones dieing.
the leaders and the so called Confab should try to be sensible for once!