Topic: Michael Jordan finally speaks out...  (Read 1506 times)

Michael Jordan finally speaks out...
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:00:11 AM »
Michael Jordan finally speaks out...

The basketball legend has been criticized for  years for remaining neutral on social issues affecting the Black community despite  earning a lot of money for American youths clamoring for his  expensive sneakers. Jordan has decided it's time to speak up...

In an open penned for The Undefeated Michael Jordan writes,

As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of  violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of  African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the  cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve  with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too  well.
“I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people  regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated  by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting  worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no  longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of  color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who  put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected  and supported.
“Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the  law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the  greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that  for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have  been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that  we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and  education, achieve constructive change.
“To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to  two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s  newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP  Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’  policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting  best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal  Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will  support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and  respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these  contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the  resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.
“We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country  that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The  problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved  tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater  understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for  ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”

Source: Michael Jordan finally speaks out...