Topic: Worried about her husband who is a doctor and her elderly parents, popular Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie speaks about her fears amidst the coronavirus pandemic  (Read 895 times)

Worried about her husband who is a doctor and her elderly parents, popular Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie speaks about her fears amidst the coronavirus pandemic

Adichie also talks about the resilience needed during this pandemic.

Adichie also talks about the resilience needed during this pandemic.

Iconic Nigerian writer Chimamanda Adichie has spoken about her fears amidst the coronavirus pandemic and how worried she is about her husband who is a doctor and her elderly parents in Nigeria.

Adichie who is based in America in an Instagram post gave her thoughts on the crisis and how she is coping with it.

The 42-year-old revealed how worried she is about her husband who goes out every day to work as a doctor and her elderly parents.

Last week, my family suffered a devastating tragedy, the very sudden death of my closest aunt, from a brain aneurysm. One day she was well and happy and the next day she was gone. Our time is filled with pain whose cause still does not feel fully true. We cry and yet we feel as though she is not really gone.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
And it is more surreal to grieve a sudden death in these strange times when the world has shut down, places once full are empty, heavy with the ghosts of silent gatherings, and across the world people are dying alone. Coronavirus is a menace in the air, a menace inside our heads. Every day I am reminded of how fragile, how breakable we are.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
My husband is a doctor and each morning when he leaves for work, I worry. My daughter coughs and I worry. My throat itches and I worry. On Facetime I watch my elderly parents. I admonish them gently: Don’t let people come to the house. Don’t read the rubbish news on whatsapp.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This is a time to cope in the best way we can. There are moments when our spirits will sag. Moments when we will feel tired after doing absolutely nothing. But how can we not? The world as it is today is foreign to us. It would be strange not to be shaken to our core.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I cannot imagine thinking of over-achieving, or of accomplishing more than usual, when all around you the world as you know it has changed, perhaps never to return to what it used to be. And yet we must continue to go on day by day. We must choose to live. And to do so we can set small goals. Like drink more water, if you’ve spent the past ten years wanting to be more hydrated. Like learn something every day, no matter how small. Like call loved ones – not text them, call them. Like help someone – with a small cash transfer, an encouraging message, a shared laugh.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I believe in allowing myself to feel what I feel. But endless negative feelings are enervating. And so to manage it I give myself time to feel what I am feeling – an hour, or two, or three, or four – and then when the time is up, I try to push my mind into a different territory. It doesn’t always work. But it’s worth trying for when it does work.⁣

Continued in comments.

Coronavirus is a menace in the air, a menace inside our heads. Every day I am reminded of how fragile, how breakable we are⁣,” she said.

⁣⁣”My husband is a doctor and each morning when he leaves for work, I worry. My daughter coughs and I worry.

“My throat itches and I worry. On Facetime I watch my elderly parents. I admonish them gently: Don’t let people come to the house. Don’t read the rubbish news on WhatsApp.⁣⁣”

‘Hailing’ my beloved 87-year-old father and 77-year-old mother.⁣

May we always be grateful for those we love and those who love us. May we always ‘hail’ them.⁣

Happy New Year.

In her post, the novelist also talked about the resilience needed during this pandemic some tips on how to stay sane.

This is a time to cope in the best way we can. There are moments when our spirits will sag,” she said.

I cannot imagine thinking of over-achieving, or of accomplishing more than usual, when all around you the world as you know it has changed, perhaps never to return to what it used to be.

“And yet we must continue to go on day by day. We must choose to live.

“And to do so we can set small goals. Like drink more water, if you’ve spent the past ten years wanting to be more hydrated. Like learn something every day, no matter how small.

“Like call loved ones – not text them, call them. Like help someone – with a small cash transfer, an encouraging message, a shared laugh.⁣⁣”

Born to a family of six in Enugu, Adichie is one of the most prominent writers from Africa. With several bestsellers to her name, she has also become known for her strong advocacy for women.

In the United States where she is based, there are 644,188 confirmed cases of coronavirus  with 28,579 deaths while in Nigeria, where her parents her based, there are 407 cases and 12 deaths.

Source: Worried about her husband who is a doctor and her elderly parents, popular Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie speaks about her fears amidst the coronavirus pandemic

- gist culled from pulseng