Topic: Operates of NDLEA arrest a 30 year old Counselor for possession of drugs  (Read 1534 times)

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos have apprehended a 30 year old career counselor and alleged alumnus of Bolton University, United Kingdom, Arinze Ifeanyi John  found in possession of 2.120kg of methamphetamine during the outward screening of passengers on a Virgin Atlantic flight to London, weekend.

According to Ofoyeju Mitchell, Head, Public Affairs, NDLEA, Arinze, who claimed to be an Alumni Ambassador of Bolton University, also holds a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at Madona University, Okija, Anambra State.

He also has a master’s degree in International Business at Bolton University, United Kingdom in 2011. He has lived in Bolton for the past three years.

Mitchel further said that four parcels containing substances that tested positive for methamphetamine were found in possession of Arinze.

“The drug which was detected inside Arinze’s luggage was carefully hidden. Officers had to cut open the sides of the bag to recover the drugs. He claimed to have an interview in London,” according to NDLEA Airport Commander, Hamza Umar.

During interrogation, the suspect confessed to the crime, stating that he was given the bag by a friend who bought his return ticket.

“I came to Nigeria in June as an Alumni Ambassador of my university. Work was at advanced stage for an exhibition in Onitsha with parents and prospective candidates who are interested in furthering their education in the United Kingdom.

“In the process, I got an interview request in London which I had wanted to quickly attend and continue with my assignment in Nigeria. My friend who assisted me with a return ticket, gave me the bag to use for my trip.

“It was inside the bag that the parcels of drug were found. I am very sorry for what has happened. I want my friends, relatives and business partners to please understand my situation,” Arinze stated.
NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Ahmadu Giade commended the officers for the arrest.

Giade promised that, “the agency will continue to counter the modus operandi of drug trafficking cartels. The suspect had perfected his plan but for the professionalism and expertise of the arresting officers, the drugs were detected.

“It is sad and disappointing that the suspect could yield to the demand to smuggle drug, considering his academic background and profession as a career counselor.

The suspect, who hails from Anambra State, will be charged to court soon.

Vanguard