Topic: How United Bank For Africa Connived With Nigeria's Secret Police, DSS To Arrest, Detain NYSC Medical Doctor In Bayelsa  (Read 378 times)

How United Bank For Africa Connived With Nigeria's Secret Police, DSS To Arrest, Detain NYSC Medical Doctor In Bayelsa

A medical doctor who is currently undergoing his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme in Bayelsa State, Chigozie Gentle Uwaoma has been arrested by operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS).
SaharaReporters gathered that Uwaoma, who is also the Managing Director of Medlink Nigeria Limited was on Wednesday, November 17 arrested at a branch of the United Bank for Africa in the state because his company’s account has more than one automated teller machine card.

A source said the young doctor has been denied access to his lawyers and family members by the DSS.
He accused UBA of deceiving Uwaoma to visit any of the branches, only for the management to call the secret police to arrest him without any “actual reason”.
The source further berated the DSS for failing to charge the corps member to court if truly he has committed any offence.
Speaking to SaharaReporters, his lawyer noted, “On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at about 2:09 pm, I received a distress call from Uwaoma.
“The United Bank for Africa Plc had frozen his company’s account and directed him to approach any of their branches to rectify whatever the issue is.
“Upon his arrival at a branch of the bank in Bayelsa State to rectify the issue as directed by the bank, he was rather informed that the officers of the DSS were there to arrest him.
"He quickly called to notify me of the development. So I told him to text me the contact of anyone close to him over there and he sent me his PPA’s contact. At about 7.00 pm on the same Wednesday, having made several unsuccessful attempts to reach him over the phone, I quickly contacted his PPA who further notified the Bayelsa branch of the Nigerian Medical Association and the leadership of the NYSC in Yenagoa. 
“Upon calling the DSS office, the NMA chairman was reliably informed by an officer that Dr. Uwaoma was in their custody and was allegedly arrested because his company’s account has more than one ATM card.
“On Thursday, 18 November 2021, I engaged a colleague (lawyer) in Bayelsa to enquire about the situation but the young man was denied access to him on the ground that the investigative officer was not on seat.
“On Friday, 19 November 2021, at about 10.00 am, Uwaoma’s PPA sent some staff members of their office to take food and clothes to him but upon approaching the DSS office, they were denied access also on the ground that they (DSS) were not yet done questioning the young man.
“I further engaged another lawyer who arrived at the DSS office at about 1.00 pm but was shockingly turned back from the gate. At this point, the DSS claimed that there was no such person as Dr. Gentle Chigozie Uwaoma in their custody. 
“Up till this moment, the DSS has refused and/or neglected to allow him any legal representation. The DSS has further failed to produce and charge him to court within the 48 hours permitted under the constitution for a suspect to be charged to court if there is any cogent reason for his arrest.
“I’m not aware that having more than one ATM card is a crime under any written law in Nigeria. I have been Dr. Chigozie Gentle's friend and colleague for over four years now and can attest to the fact that he is not involved in any crime whatsoever.
“He is a respected and responsible citizen of this country and the DSS as well as any other law enforcement agency here owes him the responsibility to protect and honour his fundamental rights.”

Human Rights

News

AddThis

Original Author

SaharaReporters, New York

Disable advertisements

Source: How United Bank For Africa Connived With Nigeria's Secret Police, DSS To Arrest, Detain NYSC Medical Doctor In Bayelsa