Ed Woodward has resigned as Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman but will leave behind some legacy at the club.
Whether for good or bad, one thing can’t be doubted, Woodward spent a lot of cash during his stint as United’s top dog.
The top ten most expensive signings in the Red Devils’ long history all came during Woodward’s troubled tenure.
From flops like Angel Di Maria to success stories like Bruno Fernandes, those ten players were signed for initial fees totalling more than £560MILLION.
Paul Pogba, the focus of much criticism and debate during Woodward’s time, remains the Premier League’s most expensive signing, having rejoined United from Juventus in 2016 for just shy of £90million.
Eight of the ten signings remain at the club meaning Woodward’s affect will stay at Old Trafford for a good while after he’s finally gone at the end of 2021.
Here who Woodward splashed the cash on…
Ed Woodward’s Manchester United resignation sparks incredible rant on talkSPORT – ‘He’s overseen a SHAMBOLIC period in our history’
10. Anthony Martial – Monaco, £36m, September 2015
9. Juan Mata – Chelsea, £37m, January 2014
8. Nemanja Matic – Chelsea, £40m, July 2017
7. Fred – Shakhtar Donetsk, £47m, June 2018
6. Bruno Fernandes – Sporting CP, £47m, January 2020
5. Aaron Wan-Bissaka – Crystal Palace, £50m, June 2019
4. Angel Di Maria – Real Madrid, £60m, August 2014
3. Romelu Lukaku – Everton, £75m, July 2017
2. Harry Maguire – Leicester City, £80m, August 2019
1. Paul Pogba – Juventus, £89million, August 2016